WHAT WE TREAT
What is Spondylosis?
Spondylosis is a general term that refers to any type of degeneration in the spine. It is often used to describe osteoarthritis of the spine.
Spondylosis is an age related condition. The prevalence of the condition continues to rise with the aging population. X-ray studies have found evidence of degenerative changes in the neck in the majority of men above the age of 50 and women above the age of 60. The degeneration can occur centrally between the vertebra (degenerative disc disease), in the facet joints, or in the intervertebral foramen.
Cervical Spondylosis symptoms
- Chronic Neck pain that is worse with movement (can range from mild to severe)
- Chronic Neck and upper back stiffness/tightness
- Limited range of motion
- Referred pain (to head, shoulders, shoulder blades, upper back, arms)
- Numbness or tingling into the arms
- Muscle wasting or weakness into the arms
Cervical Spondylosis Causes
Because we rely heavily on our neck during day to day activities, the cartilage and joints in the neck are prone to wear and tear degeneration. More degenerative changes (decreased joint space, bone spurs, disc dehydration or herniation) are seen as we age. Some other causes of cervical spondylosis are:
- Previous injury: A previous accident or fall can accelerate this spondylosis process.
- Poor posture
- Repetitive neck movements or holding your head in awkward positions (talking on the phone with the phone clamped between shoulder and head)
- Heavy impact sports (rugby, boxing, martial arts)
- Genetic factors
- Overweight or inactive
Cervical Spondylosis Treatment
Treatment goals for cervical spondylosis are to help you to reduce pain, restore function so that you can resume a normal life, and prevent the condition from worsening. Conservative non-surgical methods tend to be very effective in managing osteoarthritis but surgery may be recommended if the spondylosis causes severe neurological problems.
Conservative Cervical Spondylosis treatment can include:
- Chiropractic treatment for neck pain
- Remedial massage
- Lifestyle modifications
At Fort Healthcare, neck problems are one of the most common treated problems. Neck pain is the 2nd most frequent musculoskeletal cause of primary healthcare consultation worldwide. Neck problems are most effectively treated with the Fort Healthcare Premium Care Plan which includes:
- Consultation with our multi-disciplinary specialist team
- Techniques to reduce inflammation, swelling, joint stiffness, muscle tightness and tension
- Improve range of motion (ROM)
- Correct posture
- Self-management: take home exercise plans and rehabilitation training advice
- Lifestyle modification advice for daily tasks
- Effectiveness and recovery delivered faster
Cervical Spondylosis Recovery
Cervical spondylosis is a common age related progressive condition. Your health professional may not be able to reverse the condition but can help you to manage symptoms and prevent or delay the condition from worsening.